Saturday, May 30, 2015

opus 15 1/2

So very, very long ago, my college art class went on a trip to Opus 40 in Saugerties, New York, where Harvey Fite's most incredible land sculpture ever experienced lives. One doesn't just go to see Opus 40 ~ it is a full sensory experience, walking the bluestone alleys, stepping along stones that spiral around, up and down. Fite's sculpture may have been the catalyst for my love of rocks and moving them around. Now that I've spent the past few days hauling rocks around, I think I'd like to make a summer day trip to see Opus 40 again with a camera and sketchbook, of course.

But wait: hauling rocks? What have you been doing, Dawn? 

It had been a long-time vision to create a labyrinth, but it was on hold because I thought I'd need open clear space until I saw this . . .

Beth Owl's Daughter's photo can be found here.

Then the gears began to turn and the Earth gnomes shook the dirt off their pointy red hats as I started to Look.

A few days ago, I saw the space, the perfect space ~ open enough to walk, yet including a stump, a few large rocks and a tree or two. Bennie and I began clearing the area one hot afternoon and laid out the Seed pattern for a seven-circuit labyrinth. This labyrinth configuration is a favorite one as it reminds me of a brain and seems a natural design in a wooded setting.

Hauling rocks for two women isn't an easy task, even if it is a labor of love. (I'm lucky to have a Virgo daughter who doesn't mind hard work and getting dirty, especially if it's in service to the land.) So a little at a time has been done in the past week. The progress is quite satisfying. Hopefully, it won't take 37 years to realize the vision.

Facing West, doorway in the East.

Facing North. Three more circuits to go.

No comments: