Saturday, April 11, 2015

pushing envelopes

I've just turned fifty-one, heading into the fifty-second year of living in this plane of existence. In the past few months, new opportunities have been presenting themselves like bricks in pavement, one at a time, before my feet.

I'd gotten it into my mind to host an art journal workshop locally through our town's Rec Center. For the first time ever, I hammered out a six to eight week class plan ~ starting with building one's own hand-bound journal and ending with enough art journaling fodder to continue a practice after the course ended. Though I sent in the proposal, I never heard back from the director (neither a Yea nor a Nay ~ go figure) and went on about my daily business. Perhaps it's not the place to share such a workshop.

Recently, an old friend contacted me about a possible exhibition in a Southport library that would also host a workshop. An Artist bio was requested along with samples of any work I've done. For the first time ever, I wrote an Artist bio as honestly and with as few words as possible to make a succinct paragraph, a distilled essence, of me. (So no inclusions about being the home triage veterinarian or that I make a mean pot of chicken soup or that my second love is fiber.) In the e-mail I also included that I'd never taught a workshop before and the library's offering would be my first. The submission is presently under consideration which is an exciting enough prospect.

Yesterday, I sat before this very computer editing, editing, one of my own videos made from a borrowed Flip. Cutting it from an hour-long process down to at least the ten minutes required for consideration and the opportunity to be in a line-up of teachers in one of Effy Wild's upcoming Radiant courses. I learned so much on my own fiddling with one editing program or another ~ how to rotate the camera view, fading music in and out, speeding up sections of video. It was sent on with a note of thanks. I wasn't included in the line-up of upcoming teachers. In all honesty, I wasn't disappointed.

Why wasn't I disappointed? Because in all three instances, I was put to task doing things never done before, not even in college. What was important was keeping each of the promises I made to myself completing each of those tasks even if I didn't get the part, so to speak. In each task I learned something ~ how to organize myself or why it's good practice to describe the art I do or the time it takes to edit a video (and I got some really great videography feedback from a sister artist). Pushing envelopes.

2 comments:

Ashling said...

Good for you! Taking those steps can be so hard.....but you did it!

Dawn Zichko said...

Thank you, Aisling!