Tuesday, August 05, 2014

gold leaf duck

Yes. The usual busy-ness has held court here, demanding too much of my time. Work around the house, managing the fowl and furred (luckily, the furred aren't so demanding at present), dispatching humans or ensuring they still have clean clothing and some decent food. Though that is less work than it used to be given the ages of our children. They know their ways around a kitchen and for that I am grateful. So. Here I am in the studio attempting to catch up on blog posts ~ getting past the personal guilt of not writing, getting on with simply writing. Even my massive missive has seen a little less action than I'd care to admit. Having recently purchased gold leaf with a deep desire to give it a whirl some day, I made today that day. The creation of this page is inspired by Effy's BOD 2014v3 with her strong focus on The Queen and Sovereignty in this session. So. Yeah. Gold leaf.

Layers of stencils from Artistcellar knocked back and homogenized with gesso, a simple ink outline, Derwent Inktense and a little collage.

Plenty of room for ruminating.
The image is borrowed from Alfred Stieglitz's photo of his wife, Georgia O'Keeffe. It felt regal to me, her hands and fingers held just so. Especially those delicate fingers which created the intense images that have held me in awe since I was younger. Simply magic. Rather than use the spray on acrylic to seal the gold leaf (which isn't really gold leaf, but some cheaper gold stuff), I brushed on matte medium for protection. It dulled the shine a little, but I can live with the results ~ better than spraying noxious fumes in my home.

And then there are the ducklings . . .

No comments: