Sunday, August 17, 2014

choosing

Knitted and waiting.
The shifting tides of creativity have taken hold. Though a paint brush may be poised over pristine paper, I can feel the pull of playing with fiber. Not so much in summer or even spring, but as end of summer glides in silent but sure, these hands want to feel a good hank of fiber becoming something else. Diving into knitting with the idea of making Nothing ~ nothing that would be worn, nothing that would be utilitarian, nothing that would normally make sense for a knitted thing ~ is a process of play. Plenty of times in creating a hanging, I'll scroll through hundreds of stitch patterns for just the right feel. Chunky, slubby yarns do fine in simple knit stitch patterns while thin-cored and halo'd yarns scream for something lacy. And I might start out with those patterns making plenty of mistakes. I let the mistakes stay. They are a part of the process. As is changing my mind about the stitch pattern. It is a liberating form of knitting because it doesn't need to be technically perfect or fit anyone. It just is.

Lyn Belisle's lovely clay faces and feathers collected.

So during my lazy prime time TV viewing, this knitted piece was started and finished. She is now stitched on to a drift wood stick and we're trying on faces. One masculine, the other feminine to represent Perkunas and Zemyna respectively. See, in this vision, I caught the tail of an idea how Earth needed (and still needs) electricity, the Zap from the Heavens, in order to create. I remember hearing of some creation story, set in a laboratory, of scientific-minded folk playing with some primordial ooze and a little electricity creating life forms. It's a creation story from my mother. (Some get The Garden of Eden, I got The Lab. It worked for my practical, heretical mind at the time.) Though I don't know how accurate the Creation Story is, it's as good as any given in any other culture at any other time. It is the inspiration for this piece and so I choose carefully. Sometimes, elements will sit for awhile, let them germinate, get to know each other, before continuing. It's where we're at right now. Which means I have time to paint!

Faces getting to know each other.

1 comment:

Fil said...

I love it Dawn :)
I've been going through that for the past few months - not wanting to make anything, but wanting to do something with my hands. I love the idea of the putting the faces on the piece.