Thursday, December 12, 2013

for the love of my own Red Thread

I have my own eclectic spirituality. I connect with Nature, I confer with Deity and tend to my practices. I've reduced the amount of spiritual and occult jewelry from my early days as a Meandering Pagan. Oh, I've got them still. My silver charm necklace of two pentagrams, a medicine wheel and an Om symbol is worn sometimes. I get Questions. I answer them. There is, however, one item made by my own hand I wear more frequently ~ a beaded cord woven on a lucet about ten years ago. On a sunny day in the yard, I felt a need for Rededication. Here, in this place that is our home. All I had with me at the time was my red beaded cord tied 'round my neck. And so, Bippity-Boppity-Boo, it became my own Sacred Red Thread, my connection to God Hirself and all that it entailed.

The first time I'd read of the power of Red Thread was in The Knitting Goddess by Deborah Bergman (in particular, Chapter 2, Isis, Red Magic and A Warm Stole With Wings). In this chapter, Deborah tells of how she was knitting herself together, knitting the seen and unseen with red thread. Later on down the road in my life, I hear of Madonna and Demi and a host of other famous folk taking up the threads of Kabbalah sporting the red thread on their left wrists. And further yet, I read how Shiloh Sophia was gifted a Ceremony of the Red Thread in her conversation with the Blessed Mother about bonding with a group of women quickly, to facilitate the visionary work at hand.

But these are not my Red Threads. My Red Thread is the one of living and dying, of the chronos and kairos, of divine and sublime. My Red Thread is easily worn either around my neck or my wrist depending on the personal weather. It is not my protection or my connection to others or that which knits me back together. It is my umbilicus to the Mother ~ something a woman needs when her biological mother is absent or emotionally distant, no matter her age. This Red Thread I made is heartbeat and blood and sinew infused with the starstuff of Life. It is the heart worn on my sleeve.

The thread I made ten years ago has become worn. That dedication was made when I was in a different Place and so is also worn. I am now in a new Place and it is simply time to knit a new Red Thread, adding beads both old and new, a random rosary, a prayer for each one all in Rededication to God Hirself and all that it entails.

My frayed old Red Thread . . .

Red Thread in my art journal . . .

What knits it together . . .

seen and unseen.

Red thread strung with beads from the old thread and some new beads waiting to be knit into a sturdy I-cord.

7 comments:

Ariel Gill said...

Dawn, thank you for this post. I sense that your personal spirituality is not unlike mine. I have taken the best of what I have learned and allowed it to evolve as I grow. Wise Woman, my friend. Ariel

Effy said...

I'm not sure why this moved me so much but it made me want this - the umbilicus. The connection that is solely between self and the divine. Beautiful.

Wendy said...

Dawn, thanks for sharing this post. I love the stories of how each of us connects with the Divine, no matter how we refer to the Divine. It's a very moving and beautiful story. I'm so curious about how the new red cord will turn out. Wendy

Ruth Merriam said...

I still have the blue cord you made for me, beaded with love and dreams. It stays near my bed where I may see it daily.

<3

Ashling said...

Wow....this touches me on a deep level. Definitely food for thought....

Ashling said...

Wow....this touches me on a very deep level. Definitely food for thought. Thank you.

Ashling said...

Wow....this touches me on a deep level. Definitely food for thought....