Friday, August 09, 2013

work for a rainy day

I found this in my Inbox this morning. I love David Whyte. Hecatedemeter turned me on to him and Mary Oliver. But this poem, this morning, hit me at a certain angle. The good thing about a rainy day, a good steady rain, nothing torrential, is that you can stand in it, no umbrella, slicker or galoshes, cry and no one will see. Rain allows for a raw emotion in private when you need it. Refreshing. I avoid the word 'cleansing' as it indicates something was dirty. Emotions get a bad enough rap without being 'cleansed.'

You are not a troubled guest on this earth,
you are not an accident amidst other accidents
you were invited from another and greater night
than the one from which you have just emerged.

from What to Remember When Waking, David Whyte

These are the words that echoed through me as I walked in the rain to feed chickens, my clothes soaked through, tears mixed with rain. It was just that kinda poem.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I pulled together those pieces I'd been playing with on our Tropical Oasis retreat to see what I could do with them. Sitting on my work table, they began to feel like, resemble, bones. It is material we are beginning with in Women Who Run With the Wolves, finding and reclaiming bones. Thus, a vague plan emerges for creativity. Such excitement! And all coupled with the starting of our book group this Sunday!

Stuff on the table today.
That is my rainy day work. Along with French Onion Soup (ala Julia Child) simmering on the stove. Bread, cheese, wine and thine.

4 comments:

rose of Walk in the Woods, LLC said...

A lovely day, complete with tears to move and cleanse … creative spark … and onion soup!

Fil said...

such a beautiful poem ... and such lovely insights into rain ... we complain about it so much, it's lovely to see the positive in it. Thank you :)

Cynthia Lee said...

oh ... that poem. letting it settle in to my bones.

and it is 8:30 in the morning for me right not but I want French Onion Soup!

Ariel Gill said...

I love David Whyte's work. Read an autobiog piece of his years ago about his time in Ireland...and I'm all about all things Irish.