Wednesday, August 07, 2013

saori again or, rather, still . . .

Still weaving after all these years . . .
Searching back through this blog's posts, I was a little surprised to find I've been working on the saori weaving still on the loom since 2010 and possibly earlier. What's that? Four years? Saori weaving, however, is about the Journey not the destination ~ as we've all heard ad nauseum in esoteric circles. I'd like to get this one done though. Really. Four years is quite long enough for textile. As usual, before returning to any languishing project, it has to be dusted off and stuff made clear of it ~ the loom was no different. The reason why the Mountain Laurel was hung yesterday was to get it off my loom. The huge box of magazines used for SoulCollage® had to be shifted to one side. A bag with a drop spindle and a bit of llama needed relocating. Naturally, once a surface is cleared, cats find that particular piece of real estate desirable for the long nap ~ cat was removed from said premises so I could sit on the weaving bench.

While America's Got Talent raged on with public auditions, I tossed the shuttle, finding that easy rhythm again of working warp and weft. Saori cares not one fig for the perfectly woven item. In fact, the practice encourages bulges and bumps and texture and less-than-even selvages. It is the action of weaving that matters. I feel a connection with Spider Woman and Lachesis of the Fates as the shuttle flies and the reed beats against the weave. Once the loom is threaded and if the pattern is simple enough, a lot of  weaving can get done in a short amount of time. About a foot and a half was woven by the time AGT ended the first half of the show at 10:00pm ~ the other half was spent spinning.

About a half hour into America's Got Talent . . .

And at 10:00pm, then it was on to spinning.

Blogalong With Effy #1

1 comment:

Karen Stewart Elliott said...

I love the process. I sounds fascinating to me.