Monday, August 12, 2013

pre-autumn funk

I can't be the only one experiencing this. It is a sort of slowing down, like dragging one's feet. Nights getting chilly, the garden showing signs of tiredness, bolted lettuce, spent pepper plants. So we are feeling the beginnings of autumn, the end of summer. The last hurrah for the summer is the county fair where we can sample the harvests of summer, wander through the animals and eat Fair fare. I've gone to the county fair for as long as I can remember and it's a sort of a tradition Dirk likes to keep in place, of which I am glad. Lammas may be the First Harvest for many Pagan folk, but the fair is celebration of the harvest for me. And that will be in a short couple of weeks . . .

So I feel the drag of impending schedules and new teachers and school supplies and waking early to rouse the house and dispatching humans in all directions for the day. Soon enough, that rhythm will take hold and it'll all be good. It's this change over that gets me in a funk. I just got used to sleeping late. Maybe that's just the time to shift gears is when it's gotten too comfortable.

In the meantime, the Women Who Run With the Wolves book group is getting into some interesting conversations. I am enjoying this new place.

My Medicine Wheels of Summer

Blogalong With Effy #1

2 comments:

Ariel Gill said...

I totally know what you mean about end-of-summer blues aka pre-autumn funk. By any other name. It feels like I've done all the summer-type of things (beaches, barbeque, pool, visits) now I'm ready for sweaters and boots and hot mugs of coffee in the morning.

Ashling said...

For me it's not a funk exactly, although September's imminence is stressful. I keep my eye on the prize which is Fall Equinox and October!