Wednesday, July 31, 2013

the change-up and other stuff

Having a fair collection of Tarot and Oracle decks available for the Daily Draw, I change them up after awhile. The need for new imagery generally prompts me to choose another deck for a time. Though I've found some to present themselves seasonally. Brian Froud's Faerie Oracle seems to be a spring time favorite, while the Witch's Runes like to hit the altar in autumn. Today, wanting to put the Wildwood deck up for a rest, I was surprised to find myself choosing the Motherpeace deck without hesitation.

Today's draw.
Motherpeace was the deck a friend introduced me to years ago after a long hiatus of readings. In High School, I'd had a deck ~ some Eden Gray set, I think ~ and I was discouraged using them, not understanding Tarot at the time. Fast forward to gainful employment seven years later when a freelance writer brought her deck of Motherpeace in and would do readings during our lunches together. It was comforting laying out cards with this Mother Goddess bent at the time. Motherpeace had, after awhile, brought me full circle back to Waite/Smith deck with less intimidation and greater understanding. Toss in a few Mary K. Greer tomes and I was in love with the Tarot all over again. All of which led to having several decks of Tarot and Oracle.

Today's draw was the 4 of Wands. I kept the card upright. It's just one day and if there's Shadow that comes with the energy of the image that day then it will make itself known. Such a pleasure revisiting a deck that has been Old Friend though.

Yesterday, Ruth (bless her boots) sent me a signed copy of Neil Gaiman's latest The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I'm trying to finish The Camino by Shirley Maclaine (of all things ~ but it's been good reading though) so I can get started on Neil's book. I wait hungrily for certain authors to put out new writing ~ Neil Gaiman, Sir Terry Pratchett, Margaret Atwood (although it's been a dog's age since I've read her) and Stephen King are usually my go-to favorites. I also got a sampling of Amanda Palmer's produced music Evelyn Evelyn ~ it too comes with a story. And, as usual, I got an extra bit of some cool skulls and roses fabric for whatever my heart desires.

In the continuing BOD journey, I created a page including a picture of Ruth getting her book(s) signed by Mr. Gaiman, images from the book (one looks like it might be from pre-production) and the swatch of cool fabric.
Neil Gaiman signing our books!


My BOD journal page commemorating good reads from good friends.
And some nifty fabric.

3 comments:

arielgill.com said...

Dee, are you the artist who is working on a tarot deck? Or am I thinking of someone else in the Glitterhood? Can't seem to recall.
Motherpeace deck brought back some fond memories for me. Holding dear to my heart.

Ashling said...

Although tarot cards only come out occasionally for me, Motherpeace is and will always be my favorite.....

Ruth said...

Perhaps that image was from the cover for a printing in another country?

Yikes! I've got a page in your book!