Wednesday, April 03, 2013

playin' around

Left Hand Gray Spotted Rock besotted.
And now dry with masking removed awaiting
ruminations and musings.
Clicking around for some inspiration, I saw ideas for sewing layers of images and paper into journal pages. There was Julie Fei-Fan Balzer (scroll down a bit) and Milliande and Donna Downey. (Actually, I couldn't find an example of sewn journal pages on her blog site, though I'm sure I've seen one, but it's Inspiration Wednesday and well worth checking out.) So while waiting for my frisket-covered left hand drawing to dry from a smattering of Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists, I went into the basement to retrieve Ye Olde Sewing Machine. The last time I laid hands on the thing, it was used for sewing the inside shells of tarot bags and purses. Reach further back and it was used for assembling quilts. The Singer went to the basement three years ago as it was taking up space in the studio and gathering dust.

And so . . . it has been dusted off. However, smoke issuing from said Singer isn't a particularly good sign of a fully functioning machine. A little discouraging, in fact. This is when one adheres to an old rule (thank you, Uncle Fern): Maybe it needs a rest. So I let it rest while lifting frisket and masking tape from today's journal page and making tea for Bennie and me. Upon a second attempt, there was significantly less smoke and better motion from the drive and needle operations. I don't need flaming success merely a new way of creating journal pages.
Olde Smokey now ready to work.

Now. I'm going to finish my Turmeric Ginger tea and head for the Singer. See what happens. Wish me luck.

No comments: