Sunday, December 23, 2012

on sacred space

The holiday bustle is nearly done. Shopping and wrapping, the figuring of menus and the organizing of visitations are all underway without a hitch. (And let's not jinx it.) After some house cleaning, I spent time in the studio playing with some new paints and stencils bought at Home Depot (of all places) on a journal page. Six bucks for 12 sparkly acrylics ain't too shabby!

While gesso, paint and matte medium were drying, I opted for a walk in the woods instead of a nap. (I do adore naps ~ they are adorable and necessary.) I meandered down the old road remembering one of my friends had built a pyramid in the woods. A couple of months ago, she'd excitedly showed me her sacred space near the run-off creek below the dam. Lovely. Alders bent over just so indicating a "roofed" protected space. She'd started leaving offerings there. We performed a rite (been a dog's age, I can tell you). On our way back up the old road, I remember cautioning my friend about building an obvious sacred space, such as a pyramid, in the woods where I know there are raucous teens and the occasional hunter, not to mention hikers ~ all of whom might not respect her space. That her offerings might be pillaged. She understood that possibility, but was undaunted.

And this is where I guess I've gotten to be a bit of a snob. At one time, I was all about making Sacred Space in wild places. Medicine Wheels, calling quarters, making circles ~ I was no stranger to these. They were lovely, great, even handy at the time. However, since then I've come to feel Sacred Space is everywhere, nowhere and where I'm at at the moment ~ all of which sounds a little stupid. It's Lazy Spirituality, I guess, but for me it makes perfect sense. I leave my sacred offerings in the forms of appreciation and presence. Not that I'm stingy with crystals or corn meal. I simply want my connection with God Herself on a deeper, unseen level. No one need know the intimacy of my visit by leaving tangible evidence. It leaves Nature wild and undisturbed. The very most I might engage in is cairn building or creating a small Medicine Wheel from items found in each direction at that moment. The rocks may fall, the wind may sweep away my Wheel and all is as it should be.

So I visited my friend's pyramid on this trek. Though I'd wanted to help her build it, the hustle and bustle of my schedule wouldn't allow it. However, built it was near the run-off creek a little outside her Sacred Circle. I saw more offerings had been left in the alders. Copper wire wrapped two of the four legs to the wooden structure. At the apex a double-terminated quartz wrapped also in copper was hung. I stood under it a moment. I felt, well . . . structured, organized and that was fine. Turning within the pyramid's space though, I caught sight of a huge tree and I knew that was my Sacred Space for today. Leaving the pyramid, I rested my back against this large being, feeling at home in body, mind and spirit. Before I left, I added some rocks creating a cairn in the pyramid (I hope she doesn't mind) ~ either they'll be standing when she visits again or they won't.

Now I am ready for that nap. My new page is glued in and awaiting ruminations . . . perhaps on Sacred Space.
 A spread in the making.

Ripped words painted over and stenciled with the
Bella acrylics.

The Bella Acrylics, by golly!

The finished page glued in.

The flip side.

Some other things to be glued in . . . Later.
After my nap.

2 comments:

Ashling said...

Have posted.....hmmmm....corresponding, parallely perpendicular thoughts a couple of times this past year. Have come to the conclusion we cycle through these 'phases', needing different ways of creating and finding sacred space at different times. You have created a home filled with sacred space and live the sacred daily. It's a gift you have, and one I try to learn from. Wishing you laughter, love and fun in the festivities ahead.

Ruth said...

That card looks oddly familiar. ;-)

There's a place in Cornwall called St Nectan's Glen. At the waterfall itself (and the walk to get there is glorious), the shale walls are virtual shelving units and people have left thousands of offerings, prayers written on what-have-you, ribbons tied to trees, windchimes, you name it. Do a search for it. You won't be disappointed.

What's odd is that such a magnificent natural place is somehow enhanced by these loving bits of humanity.