Thursday, November 15, 2012

fun guy

Today's progress.
The mycorrhizal fungi that we met in our trance journey are a vitally important part of forest ecologies. Threadlike and spreading, they insert themselves into the root hairs of trees and almost all other plants (except grasses). They then extend the reach of the roots, drawing in more water and nutrient than the plant can reach alone, in exchange for sugars extruded by the roots. The network of sticky threads helps hold the soil in place and allows plants to communicate and share nutrients. Through the fungal network, trees can nurture their young. Trees in the sun will feed trees in the shade ~ even those of a different species. A clearcut forest, where the mycorrhizal fungi have died, will not easily regenerate.

from The Earth Path by Starhawk, 2004, p 172

My network of mycorrhizal fungi.


Before bumping into the above passage years ago, I'd never know of mycorrhizal fungi existence. To think this is how trees and plants communicate! Like a forest internet carrying not only information, but also an exchange of nutrients. Digging around in my woods, I've found mycorrhizal fungi. While it does go deep, it's not too hard to find near the surface of a healthy wooded area. I can only imagine the gossip these woods exchange.

Some image searching of mycorrhizal on the web encouraged me to incorporate this happy fungi in the Snake and Tree painting still lurking on the easel. The painting seems to be one of change, transformation, dissolution, connection, composting . . . I let my thinnest brush create a network of fungus around the tree's roots. It was soothing, meditative work.

The first coat.
The future altered book journal is beginning to see some changes also having coated the cover with gesso today. Tomorrow will most likely see another coat and then I wait for a vision. Perhaps I'll let my imagination reach like the hairlike threads of mycorrhizal fungi seeking communion and nurturing.




Bennie caught tonight's sunset.

No comments: