Tuesday, December 27, 2011

pierogie of guilt

Sounds like a title for a new Cake album, doesn't it?

I'm kinda takin' the Fifth here on the pierogie story. Suffice it to say, I owed a relative pierogie that were left in our home, unattended and without proper notice about NOT eating them. It is the very first time I've ever made pierogie. (Let's see how many times I can write 'pierogie' in one paragraph, shall we?) A recipe was found here, but I sought the advice of a good friend (a brilliant friend, actually) who linked me another recipe from All Recipes and gave me a link to these adorable items. The dough press set came xmas eve. With a recipe in mind and the set, I'd been good to go since yesterday. I just didn't have the gumption up until this afternoon.

So. They are done and cooling safely on the counter with a stern note to all they are not to be eaten. First criticism: the dough should have been rolled out a little thinner. Also, I may have added just a little too much flour. If nothing else, perhaps this culinary fumbling will be accepted as a gesture of good will and pierogie toward all men . . . or women.

In the meantime, in case anyone hasn't noticed, xmas is over. My internal xmas switch is flipped OFF once the 26th of December clocks in. The singing of Jingle Bells or Deck the Halls is likely to have me shredding the nearest unsuspecting inflated holiday figure within an inch of recognition. The sight of the needle-dropping tree in our living room sends me into apoplexy over the vacuuming involved with a ten foot high specimen. It all needs to be gone by January 6th, Twelfth Night. That generally means I'm the one systematically dismantling the xmas decorating gear.

1 comment:

Ashling said...

We had never eaten a pierogi until xmas day; Linda received several as a gift. Wow. I am envious of anyone who knows how--and has the patience & skill--to make these little gems!