Friday, November 18, 2011

the genius and me

Of small beginnings . . .
It is here that Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, talks about one's genius. I haven't watched the TED talk in awhile, but what I do remember is how important it is to show up, whether it means being in the studio or at the keyboard. One's genius is rarely interested in cleaning out the fridge or managing dust bunnies. The genius thrives on creativity. Otherwise, it packs its bags and moves on to the next person not peeling potatoes.

With this in mind, I went to show up in my studio. Still in pajamas, only just fresh off a decent cup of tea, everyone out the door (well, except for Dirk watching the Today Show) ~ just me with a dripping brush in hand and a palette full of paints.

It's a little like meditation practice. Most times I can't, nor do I want, to sit for an hour, but, by golly, 15 minutes sure does wonders! 15 minutes is enough to start something and is less threatening and monumental than holding myself to the promise of a large block of time. I may go back to the studio later today, but I feel like I can attend to other less genius-related activities because I've shown up in the studio, first thing. My genius will now be content to hang out with a Brandy Alexander until I get back.

Kitteh in a Carhart. Someone isn't going to work today.

No comments: