Monday, May 09, 2011

a belated Mother's Day

SoulCollage of my mother.
Mother's Day has become for me a loaded gun best left with the safety on and in the desk drawer. Yesterday was my first Mother's Day without my mother. One gets a little lost. How does one honor someone who isn't around anymore? I set this image on my desk altar for the day. My small gesture before going somewhere else to celebrate with the family. It was day to remember there would be no more Martha Washington geranium exchanges or bagels and cream cheese with coffee and the NY Times or shopping together in Connecticut. It was a day I later spent time berating myself for not being a better adult child in taking care of my mother. After the tears, meditation and sleep. All in all, it was a day I got through without much drama. My daughter and I went to the musty bookshop at the bottom of our hill and bought three books for $9.00. I showed Dirk the peony a well-meaning neighbor had given me last year with condolences ~ I thought I'd killed it, but there it is in my yard. Resurrected, lush and strong.

3 comments:

Rosie Kaplan said...

That is a lovely card. My mother died 7 years ago and I still haven't made a card for her. I did though do a whole string of cards for my fathers 90th. They are not on 'puplic' display but you can find them here, only if you are interested! http://papa90.blogspot.com/

psiam said...

I'm sitting here crying over this post for so very many complicated reasons.

I love you so very much, Dawn.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the resurrected peony - how symbolic!!! I love the soul collage with your mom.

Love
Rose
:o)