Saturday, April 30, 2011

new ways to play

Part of my creativity involves throwing myself deep into some activities. The activities aren't always related to painting, spinning or knitting ~ more like Processes, Curiosities and Meanderings. For the past couple of days, I've been playing with Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card, but using the exercises with my deck of SoulCollage® cards. Last night, I played with this one random image from my deck, the Knitting Goddess.

One exercise requires the reader to write a description of the image with as much detail as possible. I wrote the following:

A group of women from different eras are knitting. Each is working on their projects, but only two are intent on their work. Katharine Hepburn looks over to a woman from another time, watching her hands knit the fiber. Another woman gazes out from the image. The yarn in the background is rich with color and texture.

The next part of the exercise asks the reader to read or write the description using the First Person. Since the image does indeed include me, I wrote the following from my perspective:

I am knitting with a group of women from different eras. Each is working on their projects, but only two are intent on their work. I notice Katharine Hepburn looks over to a woman from another time, watching her hands knit the fiber. Another woman gazes away from me and her knitting. I do not notice the yarn behind me, though I know it is there.

Another chapter introduces reading emotion in an image. Using the same image I wrote:

Each woman is working quietly on their knitting. Industrious, methodical activity steeped in history. There is a feeling of communion through the ages all held together by this single thread. One woman seems to use knitting as a means escape, daydreaming every stitch. Katharine Hepburn is relaxing between takes, but is eager to learn more from the industrious woman across space and time. The woman in the purple shirt seems content to be in the company of such great knitters. The yarn in the background is an invitation to pick up one's own thread and knit.

This also is read or written again in the First Person, but I'll spare the repetition. Through these exercises, I found a way to look at my own SoulCollage® deck as a rich resource for future card readings. Up until now, I'd been working with the cards only in a Daily Draw and writing I am the One Who . . . statements as outlined in Seena Frost's book. This new way to play might move me out of a particular rut.

On the next post, I'll tackle a reading using the Medicine Wheel layout borrowed from Jamie Sams and David Carson's Medicine Animals. Hopefully, I'll make some sense of it.

1 comment:

Rosie Kaplan said...

Very interesting. I read about this on the kaliadasoul yahoo group. I followed up your link and read it there and thought, yes I will try it. So now I have read your post I really will. I have some cards that I haven't ever found an I Am for. I will see how I go with one of them.