Friday, December 10, 2010

creating a new tradition

Life can change drastically sometimes. When it does, people may try to find ways to cope with the change involving the creation of New Traditions. I love to create Sacred Space and Altars ~ it's like playing House on an esoteric level. This Solstice, I have one less person in my life to celebrate with and feeling like I need something of comfort, I made an Advent Garden altar.

This nifty idea came to me by way of this Living In Season article. Erin Fossett borrowed verses of the Waldorf Advent as follows:



All the kingdoms of Nature
Are preparing for the coming of the Christ Child,
Of that, which is born anew
Within each of us at this time of year.

The first light of Advent
Is the light of stones.
The light that shines in seashells,
Crystal and in bones.

The second light of Advent
Is the light of plants.
Plants that reach up to the sun
And in the breezes dance.

The third light of Advent
Is the light of beasts.
The light of hope that we see
In the greatest and in the least.

The fourth light of Advent
Is the light of man.
The light of Love, the light of thought,
To give and understand.

Certainly, "Christ Child" could be exchanged for a more spiritually comfortable reference of Light and "human" might be swapped for "man," but they're good words nonetheless. It's my understanding, the First Light of Advent began November 28 on this year's calendar; then the remaining Lights are recognized on the subsequent three Sundays. Solstice is when the center candle is lit. I started a little late, but caught up quickly as of last night. This coming Sunday evening should see a candle lighting in honor of beasts.

I woke up this morning eager to light the two candles on my Advent Garden altar before doing anything else. It is a gift the lighting of a candle can mean so much.

1 comment:

Ashling said...

What a hauntingly beautiful idea....