Tuesday, May 25, 2010

plans that go awry sometimes are best


I went to a Flyleaf concert with Dirk, Laurie, my daughter and her friends at the Chance. Earlier in the day Laurie had (sort of) confirmed there would be tickets at the door as the show hadn't been sold out. Ordering the buggers on line were tagged with a hefty handling fee neither of us were willing to pay. (Yeah, $22.95 handling for 3 General Admission tickets at $20.00 each. How fast can you say Bite Me!)

Running a little late, we parked, but were informed by the parking attendant the show was sold out. Since Dirk and I were on the fence about even going to this concert, we were okay with the idea of maybe a movie and pizza instead of several hours of Alternative Rock I don't think we've heard yet. However, Dirk being the sucker he is, saw the disappointment on all the girls' faces and sprung into action. Technically, we did not scalp tickets because we paid face value for all 7 of them from various people selling either singles or doubles, but it was something we hadn't done in a dog's age. A lot of that cruising-for-tickets activity was B.C. ~ Before Children. These days with young 'uns in tow, we like the certainty of getting into an event by purchasing tickets well in advance. So this was a bit of an adventure.

Tickets in hand without the exhorbitant handling fees, the fun begins. It turned out there were 3 bands warming up for Flyleaf which adds up to one long night, by golly. We'd missed the very first, Junket, trying to get everyone their tickets. Then Sugar Red Drive came on ~ interesting music with one cover tune from Alice in Chains. Dirk and I were impressed with the flailing antics of the lead vocalist in Fair to Midland. In fact, Darroh Sudderth, as far as we could discern given the surrounding cacophany, actually had a fine voice. I'd need to listen to a couple studio cuts to say that hands down. Dirk liked the lead guitar, Cliff Campbell. All in all, it was a band with raw energy. If Ian were with us, I think he might have liked them.

Finally, Flyleaf got on stage and finished out the show. Lacey belted out the vocals, the bass and guitar players managed feats of derring do on raised podiums while maintaining their riffs. It was a good show. And, really, nothing does a mother's heart better than to see her 11-year-old daughter raise the horned Ozzie rock salute to a band she enjoys.

Once outside all the girls got pictures and autographs on ticket stubs and sneakers (hey, use what you got). We didn't get home until very late, but I got everyone up and off to school. No one seemed sluggish this morning, but I'm sure we'll all be napping by 4:00pm today.

I hope to post pics of Bennie and some of the band members soon ~ the camera wasn't mine. Besides, I remember from my earlier concert forays to travel light. You never know what's going to happen.

1 comment:

Ashling said...

Remember the days when one was just STARTING the evening festivities at 10pm? Feeling older by the minute, sigh.