Thursday, April 22, 2010

good eats?

Just a jot: Last night, I watched Food Inc on PBS. I am appalled. If I didn't like meat so much, I might go vegetarian. But then, it's difficult to be careful of what you buy as only a handful of industries (they are NOT farms) own the meats and poultry producing "feed lots." Again, they aren't farms. The only bright spot on real animal raising was this fellow. Slaughter isn't the prettiest thing to see on any level, however, Joel seemed to have some sense of respect for the animals in his care. If you can get your mitts on this DVD through the library for viewing, it would be worth every second of your life.

Now to figure out how to eat more sensibly and humanely. I don't think it'll happen overnight, but awareness is a helpful step. I love my chickens so much now I went out and kissed 'em full on the beaks.

2 comments:

Ashling said...

Do you read Edible Hudson Valley? The Winter issue did an interview with Jonathan Safran Foer, author of Eating Animals, that you may find interesting.

linda said...

I watched Food Inc, as well, and it almost made me ill. The way that factories kill animals is appalling, they have so little respect for the lives of the animals or the workers.