Friday, May 15, 2009

drat!

I now understand why there is a weird sect of folks who only use drop spindles to get their fiber fix. Very little goes wrong mechanically with drop spindles ~ either it's broken in some freak, unavoidable accident or the dog chews it along with that fine Angora that was being spun at the time. I was finally at the tail end of my Blueface Leicester spinning when the drive band busted. Essentially, it's a big rubber band. I saw the break coming and researched replacing it sooner, but I either couldn't find a resource for the replacement or I got strange responses on how to cut the replacement for another Majacraft wheel and then melt it to a size that would fit my Millie. Instead, I nursed it with a Band-Aid until just a couple weeks ago. Then I went into denial and refused to deal with the situation; until today.

Very simple really: string. Set the flyer to it's lowest level and tie one on, so to speak. Then set the flyer until the string is tight. So far, the knot doesn't seem to be interfering with the wheel's function. The part that holds the flyer in place has been loose since forever so I've used one of those cable ties to keep it held tight. Unfortunately, the only decent string I had lying about is cotton which means it's likely to stretch which means I'll be tightening the cable tie as I finish spinning the Leicester. Nylon would probably be the next best bet.

I hope this fix will keep things in working order. Otherwise, my Millie will just have to become a very nice little end table with a unique ability to spin air and I revert to the drop spindle joining that weird sect of spinners. As long as I don't have to hang out in airports proselytizing in long saffron robes, I'll be okay.

No comments: