Sunday, January 25, 2009

Biddy Time

Bride's Feast is nearly upon us again. Days are getting incrementally longer and spring will begin soon. Hence the Brighid Dolly exchange is also, once again, underway. Bennie and I are making biddy dollies for two women on the Flame Vigil list and we'll be receiving dollies from two women on said list. I thought it would be good to include Bennie this time 'round. She likes making things and can focus on good things for the woman receiving her handiwork. We'd gone to AC Moore's for tissue paper, twisted paper (they don't carry it anymore) and some other crafty things yesterday, but as I began the basic construction of dollies I got a strong feeling they ought to be made of yarn. Memories of a childhood friend came back to me as I wound out the yarn on a niddy-noddy, knotted a knob for the heads and then braided arms and legs. Theresa and I used to make oodles of these yarn dollies. Sometimes, we wouldn't braid legs and let the loose threads be a skirt or think of them as creatures that didn't require legs. Whole families of yarn dollies would be made in a single afternoon. Should the recipients still choose to burn these dollies next year, they'll still be quite incendiary.

All Bennie and I need to do at this point is dress and decorate them.




In the meantime, I'd neglected to show some painting I'd done on the stairs.


Yes, it's Frida.





And some Mexican motifs.






Now I have 12 other risers to paint. Waiting for inspiration to strike.
But wait, there's more!
Urban Rustic Gloves knitted in Jamie Harmon hand-dyed angora.









And, in the continued realm of all things monk-ish, the Monk Hat using an Icelandic/mohair blend handspun by yours truly.

1 comment:

wild-heart said...

Do you never sleep?

Are you putting some kind of clear coat on the stair risers? I'd hate the think that the paintings might get nicked by people clomping up and down the stairs.

You astound me. Seriously.