Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Covering Assets

There are useful things I've learned about art in college. I've slogged through the annoying critiques. I've been returned to the literal and proverbial drawing board ad nauseum. I've spent hundreds of dollars on art supplies to satisfy professors' whims. All this stuck with me like burrs on a long-haired dog. What I'd forgotten and is of great importance is the preservation of the art one has done. In college, students went through the process of making protective coverings for finished pieces with a sheet of tissue paper and then another cover sheet in some attractive color (usually for presentation purposes). All work had to be turned in covered in this manner or it would get bumped back without a grade. I've spent time slamming academia and its cruel handling of creative minds, but when it comes to a few technical aspects, like covering one's work . . . well, I'd have to side with the professors on this one. Despite the potential for a glaring F on the turned-in work, while it's in the pile waiting for that grade, a great many things can happen. Ignorant janitors, cups of drippy coffee, a stampeding herd of buffalo all of which spells damage and danger for the art that's been done. Sometimes, a thin sheet of tissue paper could be all that stands between one's art and a chuffing buffalo with a large latte and a penchant for cleanliness. So I took a little time to cover the 23 paintings done for this long-term project with tissue paper. That they have survived the kitchen in one rental, a couple of moves in a paper portfolio and construction on site is nothing short of a miracle. Covering this work means it's important to me, that it's worthy and it's going somewhere (not the bin). That is something an artist should never forget.

No comments: