Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

However, on rare occasions, they will wear Knotted Beanie Caps as shown by Bucky the Homosexual Insult Skeleton. (We credit the naming of said talking skeleton to Kirsten who noted that Bucky was still in the closet the last time I had him modeling a finished hat/mitten project. P.C. aside, we ran with it.) And just to show that it looks perky on the fleshed out and lively, here's Bennie modeling the same hat.

I had pored over many hat patterns looking for something interesting for this soy silk/merino named Karaoke. I finally decided that K.I.S.S. would be a better approach ~ the 'K' standing for Karaoke. And these are the simple instructions:

Using a #10 circular needle, I cast on 92 stitches. (For me, this worked out to about 4 stitches per inch on this handspun yarn that I spun myself. In my own home. On my own spinning wheel. So the yarn was a bit bumpy making for wonky stitches.)

Knit 'round until about 4" or 5".

Decrease as follows: *k9, k2tog*.

Knit 'round for about an 1" then decrease again as follows: *k6, k2tog*.

Knit 'round another 1", decrease again: *k3, k2tog*.

(Note: each of these decrease rows will have 4 stitches left over ~ at least, they did for me because I'm Math Impaired and I did 92 stitches to fit my head, albeit, loosely.)

Knit about 1/2" and then decrease: *k1, k2tog* until down to 5 or 6 stitches. Change the circular needle for a pair of #10 dpn's and I-cord the rest of the hat until a happy length for knotting.





Speaking of dyeing: we did some. These are scrumptious bowls of Rambouillet dyed in Kool-Aid colors with directions from Knitty. This is my favorite way to dye. There are no dangerous chemicals involved which means you can involve . . .


















Kids! Who love Kool-Aid anyway.










Ian and Zachary may look dead-pan here, but they did ask if they could get in on the dyeing fun. Catch of the day: Kool-Aid-dyed Rambouillet.











A close-up of the boys' skeins.












And here are the girls' skeins.











These are mine. A Creamscicle orange and pink; a Sunset orange, red and blue; and the girls inspired the last skein with a Sky-blue Pink, blue, pink and a hint of orange.










It helped pass the time on another winter vacation from school. Some people, however, are concentrating on making a permanent dent in the couch. Lap-tops suck. Only because I don't have one, of course.

1 comment:

wild-heart said...

Your children, and your wool, are gorgeous.