Wednesday, December 26, 2007

xmas Stuff

First, we purchased a tree of insane proportions. In this respect, Dirk isn't very Tao in his approach to life ~ Big is better than the Power of the Small. And yet, I will find a way to get this tree down on my own by Twelfth Night.







After tree raising and a few days later, we all trundled down to the local VFW hall to see Tom in his acting debut. A very convincing elf indeed. In an effort to maintain some of his dignity, I've opted not to include the full costume which, naturally, included the magical elf tights of bright conflicting (NOT contrasting) colors. It was of a Ketchup and Eggs theme.







Then xmas dawned early for us ~ an excruciating 5:00 am. I'm still peeling my eyes from the back of my head.

But I got stuff . . .













Tom got stuff . . .












Bennie got stuff . . .













Even Ian got stuff, he just neglected to hold up the entire set of drums . . .











I'm waiting for the regret to set in on that last purchase. I was already fully aware of the acoustics in our Cathedral-ceilinged home; now that awareness will merely wax painful with incessant drumming and cymbal clashing. More cowbell!

And I forgot to take photos of the knitted things I'd given out. There was a Tudora neckcuff, pattern found on Knitty . And there was a Daisy Chain scarf that I modified greatly from this to suit my own funkiness. Lastly, there was Lee Raven's Hands On Spinning easy ribbed hat in mohair/wool combo. My last gift is for Dirk, albeit late. Another easy ribbed hat with my 4-ply Icelandic wool. The goal is a sturdy, warm hat that won't flop in the face of continued winter weather. He still wears the hats I made seven (?), eight (?) years ago from my first handspun Romney ~ they've seen better days and may simply have to be retired. Future cat beds, maybe.

But the main point is: xmas is done for another year along with all the angst that went with it. Believe me, there was much angst ~ sweating UPS deliveries slated for xmas eve, a dead rooster, meal planning on a ham shank, daggers over the Yule Log mousse cake. It just doesn't get any better than that. Is it worth being resolute that next year will be different or better? Not really. It is what it is. Better to go with the flow. Read some more of the Tao Te Ching and smack your head like in the V-8 commercials ~ "Wow! I could have connected with my te!"

1 comment:

Ruth said...

You have no idea what it does for me to see you in that jacket. I feared it would wind up stuffed in a closet.

Now on to your other entries!