Monday, June 18, 2007

Use a Notebook!

These are the pieces done on the throw-turned-skirt-now-sweater. As mentioned, there's no pattern I'm following except where my mind goes knitting it ~ which could end in a fashion crash and burn. But I'm willing to make that mistake. One should not endeavor such projects without the Knitting Notebook, however. Like the necessary towel in A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a notebook is paramount in recording information of the progress at hand; especially if that progress includes replicating something like a sleeve. I had a complete brain fart as to how I'd done the first sleeve and had to restart the second sleeve three (3, III) times. I'm in a good groove now that's sorted out, but I have other puzzles to sort through: I've knit this thing totally tubular ~ I'll need to figure out how it should be pieced together. Will I be knitting a yoke? The torso was originally knitted with the purple at the bottom (that's when it would have been a throw). And there's a slit at the top (that's when it would have been a skirt). So now I have this sort of bodice thing going on and I have to figure out how to make something happen with shoulders and a collar. And if I can remember to use my Knitting Notebook, I might actually be able to translate this into a pattern that others can knit in the future . . . but let's not get ahead ourselves. What's important is . . .





What Bennie will be wearing for Halloween this coming year. Yes, it may be a bit early, but I've heard of folks knitting xmas gifts about this time of year too. So I'm not off my tree altogether. Bennie is sporting a machine-sewn, velvetine screaming pink and black cat costume made for me (at about the same age) by my mother. It's safe to say this costume is about 30 years old ~ does that classify as a "Family Heirloom?" Nonetheless, once Bennie has worn it this trick or treat season, it shall bequeathed to Cousin Fiona. She should fit in it when she's about 8 years old.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I vaguely remember that wool . . .

Speaking of wool, I was counting my sheep (or in this case, llamas) before they were sheared. I was promised llama wool by a freecycler, who promptly gave it to someone else without so much as a "tough titties." Sigh. I'd hoped to send it to YOU.

Love Bennie in the cat costume. Who's that standing beside her? :)