Saturday, June 16, 2007

Birthday Acheived

Before Tom went out to dinner with Uncle Jim and Gran'ma yesterday, we did quick songs and cake. Do not laugh at the cake. It was made completely from scratch on minimal ingredients. With all the eggs, it was disappointing to use only one in The Joy of Cooking's One-Egg Cake recipe. (At least I can prep possum in a pinch ~ that's in The Joy of Cooking too.) I also tried a recipe for Boiled Icing; a little too sugary, but that is likely due to inexperience in this particular culinary art. After enduring my baking experiment, one I slaved over until 11:00 pm the night before, Tom went to Outback and enjoyed Shrimp on the Barbie with good company.


I am blindsided by this Teenage thing that is no longer impending. It's here with all its fury and pain, its pride and beauty. It's hard to realize we need to make reasonable suggestions rather than impose rules, provide necessities without coddling, give support and encouragement for independent choices. Tom does a fair lot on his own ~ cooking, caring for prized possessions, attending to basic hygiene. This young person is going to need less and less from us and that's the way it's supposed to be . . . Well, until he needs the car. That'll be another matter.

In the meantime, on the needles is another experiment: I think it will be a sweater. Rather forgot to take pictures of it ~ next post. Ruth will be happy to know I'm using her travelling wool. This will mark the first time I'm making something on my own, without instructions. I'm flying without a net, feeling no fear . . . maybe a little trepidation, but no fear. And, by golly, I'm on flame vigil tonight. I do enjoy my vigils!

2 comments:

Cass said...

Great pics! And happy birthday to you too Mom! After all, your oldest's birthday is a bit of a birthday for you as well. And I can tell you from experience, the teenage years are wonderful, fun, surprising and never dull. I love having teenagers! :) You have a beautiful family.
Now take some knitting pics! ;)

Ruth said...

Is that the hint of a mustache I see on Tom?

OMG, how the years go zoom.