Sunday, September 24, 2006

Works in Progress

Yes, it's been too long since I've been through this neck of the woods. I have a span of quiet uninterrupted time. Time when I'm not hearing saws and hammers and cement mixers ~ I can show off some of my stuff, which isn't much because the Big Project is, of course, the house. (Wait until you see the tile I picked for the bathrooms! And I mean, you'll have to wait because I want it installed first.)

Yesterday, I was on a knitting blue streak, didn't even plan dinner, finishing the front of the Fair Isle sweater I started sometime in spring. I now have the front and back finished.

Unfortunately, I'm running out of the blue-y/green Corriedale to finish the sleeves. I am at an impasse. I can either run to the local yarn shop and find something similar (I know it won't match exactly; my expectations are low in that area) ~ OR ~ I can wait until I get to the Sheep & Wool in Rhinebeck to purchase more roving in similar colors. The latter means time spinning it up, but it would be a mission: Corriedale for the sleeves. The former might be too much of a cop out.



As you can see from this photo, a blue-y/green is needed to match the rest of the sweater. I started this project with no expectations of perfection, so this is fine with me, but I'd like to have things match a little bit, despite the pattern snafus.








Also, it appears a fireplace is growing in the kitchen area. Here's the front with the fire box and a bit of the wood storage. Old brick is being used in efforts to add character and age; I think it's working.

And here's a painting on its way to a friend's house.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Hey! You figured out how to post the pictures as part of the post itself. Yay!

Love the old brick. Will your kitchen hearth have some sort of swing-arm for holding pots/kettles?

I miss you. Enjoy the Hudson Valley autumn for me, please. Have a cup of chai in remembrance.