Friday, December 09, 2005

Moo Shu Madness

Last night, I was in the company of some fine folk. Penelope (of local Knittingsmith Yarn Shop fame and ownership) said I could hang for the Knitter's Roundtable she has happening on two Thursdays a month (give or take depending on holidays and inclination). It was a pleasure to walk in at 6:00 pm to be greeted by the offer of Chinese food. Already, without knitting, these are my kind of people! I was introduced to Moo Shu Pork. It was an initiation of sorts as I was instructed on how to apply the Hoisin sauce (name eludes spelling properly at present) and then the Moo Shu to be wrapped in an uber-thin slip of pancake. And then, I was in Nirvana ~ just like that.

Of those that were there before me and then filtered in after me, I got to meet: Mary, Pat (she does yoga!), Audrey, Dr. Susie, Gayla and Linda. Conversation was fun and free. No story was ever really completed as queries were raised on how to deal with certain points of knitting, but that didn't matter. A new one would begin and it was just as good, just as necessary to be heard as the last one. Penelope had put together a pattern to make a cat or dog ornament simply: a square, a small rectangle, and an I-cord with the right amount of stuffing, pinching and sewing. Also going on needles were various hats. I worked on something mindless enough to enjoy new company, a pair of Magic Loop socks going to Dirk's grandmother staying in the Senior Citizens facility (one could hardly call it 'home'). After a quick quaff of Mad Housewife Cabernet Sauvignon (the label was hilarious to read), it was suddenly 9:00 pm. With the threat of my coach turning back into a pumpkin, I decided I needed to get home and back to Real Life. (Actually I walked. It'll be the only thing I'll miss about living in village.) I left with both my glass slippers (no prince) and the heady realization that I'd been in a yarn shop for three (3) whole hours! Maybe it was the wine.

Due to the impending holidays, the next Roundtable will be in the second week of January. I'll be marking that Thursday on the calendar right now. Maybe we'll do Mexican.

Now the other thing I've got going on needles is a bit more involved. I don't know what possessed me, but I really wanted to try my hand at some Fair Isle. I decided to give it a whirl by way of a pattern from the Summer 2004 Knits, the Fair Isle Bag by Beth Brown-Reinsel. Naturally, I'm not using the colors indicated in the pattern, but my stash ~ so it's going to look a little funky, but I'm fine with that. It's the process not the product that matters to me right now. At present, I've somehow got more stitches than the pattern calls for. Rather than frogging and reducing, I'm winging it and working with it as is. I hope to get some sensible order going visually, and then I'll post pics of the progress.

It snowed. There was no school, no Brownie meeting. Obligations out of the way, we all went to see The Narnia Chronicles: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was a stunning film. I kept a fibery eye out for knits. Lucy wore some nice cardigans, that was about it. I'm still on the hunt for Mrs. Weasley's bell-sleeved sweater as seen in The Chamber of Secrets. Alas, I may never find that pattern! Which rubs my nose further into the fact that waving a magic wand to get dishes and laundry done won't work. Not even a nose twitch. Ah, but I can knit, spin or paint! Then I don't remember that there's dishes or laundry to do (until I need underwear or a cup for tea).

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Okay, so it's not Mrs. Weasley's sweater . . . but will this one do?