Monday, December 19, 2005

Fair Isle Fun

I am amazed at myself. Honestly. I've never done Fair Isle in my life. Intarsia is still initimidating, but I might be more willing to try it after getting through this. This is mostly knitted up from my hand-spun stash (except for the Wool-Ease peeking out at the bottom), which is another reason to be proud ~ I'm getting through some of the Stash! As Nature abhors a vacuum (I just abhor vacuuming), it's simple physics that the Stash will replenish itself. Like those tribbles on Star Trek; but you couldn't knit those or even milk them. Basically, useless bits of fluff. Anyway, this is only about 1/3 of the project done. The bag knits up in one piece that gets folded and sewn. I can't wait to see what happens next!

In the meantime, I'm staring deep down the barrel of the Christmas gun . . . again. Not one present has been purchased. In fact, neither Dirk nor I have a clue as to what we're going to get people. It's enough to get humanoid spawn out of the house in the morning without arguing over breakfast and clothing. There are only four more days left until school is out for the year as well. The kids have their lists written up though. No worries there except supply and demand. One is stapled together to create one two-foot long document. And the handwriting is uncharacteristically neat. I remember writing up my Christmas lists as a child ~ one page usually. I also walked to school up hill both ways and fended off a rabid squirrel with a looseleaf binder. That's what a one-page Christmas list story would sound like to our children. They can hardly comprehend that people didn't have TV, nevermind video games. At least, at the very least, I've completed the only Christmas knitting I intended to do ~ Dirk's grandmother's socks. Since a couple of years ago, I decided it would be easier to concentrate on one knitted gift for one person a year. That way if I choose to do something challenging, delicious and fantastic, I can really focus on the project and make it as best as I can. Now the socks came out alright. The only thing is that although I bought this Bernat Softee Chunky in Berry Red, somehow, the color isn't matching. The labels match, checked that whilst in Walmart, but the color is off. So the socks look a little bit funky. What's worse is that I didn't notice this fiber anomaly until grafting off the sock. Well, they'll still keep the tootsies warm. They'll certainly look homemade.

Must return to the continued dipping of more candles.

Thought for the Day: Ask not what your cat can do for you, but what can you do for your cat. Really. That's their attitude anyway.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I. Am. So. JEALOUS.

And I'll get to those emails today, promise!!