Friday, November 18, 2005

Moodling

The last balmy day we had was Wednesday. That day, instead of door shopping, Dirk worked on the house and I spent time sleying the loom. (Definition: By sley I mean threading, not engaging in stand-up comedy ~ that would be slaying . . . Ah, where my mind goes. The loom was amused though.) It surprises me what I can remember. It's like cellular memory warping the loom, riding a bike, baking a cake. I just, with a mere glance at my Learning to Weave book, remembered how to do it. And it went quickly. I'm nearly done sleying the beater. Next I'll be counting heddles and threading those. I'm aiming for a twill, so it'll be the simple 1-2-3-4 combo on the shafts. But that was the Last Balmy Wednesday . . .

Today, there is a definite chill in the air. The seals to the car door were slightly frozen. We are nearing the middle of winter. I'm baking like a maniac for the Brownie's bake sale tomorrow. Seedcake from www.godecookery.com is baking as I write. I will then move on to Sand Trooper Sandies from the Star Wars cookbook, soon followed by Wookie Cookies. So baking on a day like this is fine. I'd like to get to painting as I have a project in mind, but it's on hold due to time constraint and lack of solitude. This frustrates me and makes me cranky. It makes me lethargic and then I don't want to do anything remotely adult or responsible. I want to take a nap.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

How I wish I could sit by you, yakking while you warp-speed, dallying while you shuttle.

Cookies are also therapeutic . . .