Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Burning the Midnight Oil

Last night, for some unknown reason, maybe a planetary alignment, I had a burst of energy at a time I normally go to bed. At 11:00 pm, when I would have been dozing to Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Ah, Caribbean Angst!) and the TV, I tackled the beginnings of a pair of socks for Bennie. Here it is in my produce . . .

As I've had my eye on Bennie's selection from the Sheep and Wool, I made her an offer she couldn't refuse. Let Mommy play with the yarn and she'll knit her a pair of socks with it. How could she say No? She couldn't and she didn't. Now, this is, of course, being done in the Magic Loop method and should go like gang busters over the next few days. Most of my knitting may actually be done at a relative's whilst waiting for the afore-ranted turkey to roast. Since I didn't want to do the toe-up offered in the booklet, I've modified the directions of the Winter Sock to suit my needs. So, technical notes are as follows:

#4 circular needles
Bennie's Neat-O Wool from the Sheep and Wool
cast on 30 stitches to start for the shank
Gauge: C'mon! You know me by now!

More info to come since I'm figuring it out as I go. Which is dangerous. Let's not talk about the hat-about-to-become-a-cinch-bag. (Okay, the only note: I did try to full it in the washing machine. It didn't work. Hence, the future cinch-bag for something else.)

I also had the gumtion to spin a little of my Sheep and Wool purchase, a mohair/wool blend. It's spinning up fine. I'm still on the fence about plying it. I was moodling over the idea of doing myself a sweater from The Knitting Goddess: the Penelope Sweater using the Brioche stitch. I think I might hold out for some angora on that though. I'll have to see how this spins up. Here is Millie with the mohair hanging out in the kitchen waiting for a decent cup of tea . . .

In the meantime, I have turkey carcass hanging out at the bottom of my fridge. It was accidentally purchased. I doubt insurance covers it. I don't even think I could file a police report. It was a hit and run with no clues, not even tire tracks. I'm still reeling from the impact. It will not be the Thanksgiving Turkey though ~ just an ordinary one. A humble hunk of meat that will be our meal(s) from November 25, 2005 onward. Time to look through those Left-Over Turkey recipes . . .

No comments: