Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Who Says This is a Day Off?

My children are home from school today. Holiday ~ one inserted inconveniently during the week. I don't mind them much if they're attached to a weekend. A few days of unshowered, coffeed bliss is fine, but a Tuesday off twixt Monday and Wednesday school days is just dumb. Superintendents ~ can't live with them, can't eat them for breakfast (and why would anyone want to anyway; they're generally quite gamey). Next week is looking much the same with a holiday on Thursday, after a three-day weekend (which, as I mentioned, I can deal with). I suggest we do a straight run of all the holidays and then just let school stay open. Get Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving, and Christmas done and cleaned up in the month of September and be done with it. Let these little niggling Colombus Day-like holidays fall to the wayside ~ at most, they're good for White Sales.

Enough of that . . .

Seen here is Jango sporting a sock-in-progress using Malabrigo Merino single-spun wool in Hollyhock and Green Spark, alternating stripes. (The Inspiration: the striped socks of the Wicked Witch of the East (?) with the house unceremoniously dropped on her in The Wizard of Oz. Great pair of pins until they began to shrivel and curl ~ she must have done yoga. And can Glinda please come do my dishes?) The needles are #4 circulars, the Turbo kind. I have no idea what the guage is (I rarely do). The shank is made using Spinderella's Slouch Socks pattern (http://www.spinderellas.com/patterns/slouch.html) modified for the Magic Loop. Once at the heel flap, I reverted to the Magic Loop instructions and am now in the process of working the gusset decreases. It is at this point that I'm winging it and hoping I remember the process when knitting the other sock. Well . . . who says socks have to match perfectly anyway? I could be making an artisitic statement here. The point is, this stuff knits up like buttah! Really, the wool isn't spun, more like very fine roving. All squishy and soft like Wonder Bread, but better quality.

As I was taking these photos, Ian, observing the Day Off in tighty whities, asked if he could be included in the photos since I was using his indignant cat as a prop for the sock. That would be an unequivocal NO, Ian. Now, for the love of little green frogs, get dressed!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

What is it with the spam comments?

I noticed that you posted an intro to the egroup. Hey, thought I, I know that wonderful woman! And she's posted a link to her blog!!!!

Onward and heelward.

*hugs*