Thursday, October 27, 2005

Mohair Musings

For about a week now I've been sharing the table with this guy. He's waiting for Halloween. We dragged his plastic-boney butt down from the site where a fair amount of our holiday decorations reside. (I wish they'd pay the electric. And I've got a bone to pick with someone about the trash lying about.) At 2:00 am, it can truly be quite disconcerting to find someone sitting at the table. I'm half expecting him to ask me for a drink of water while I'm at it. But that would only happen if he were plugged in. So let's be thankful he's not wired for now.

In the meantime, I've been trying to knit that mohair bucket hat. The first time I did something wrong ~ can't remember what ~ and decided it would be better to just start over again. The second time, I began to knit a moebius hat brim . . . Knowing there really wasn't anyway to fix that, I decided it would be better to just start over again. (Hah! Deja vu!) Being that the Third Time is the proverbial Charm, I am still on only 1/2" of the brim using the Linen Stitch. Let's not jinx it, but I think I'm finally off to a good start. The problem I'm fast learning about mohair is that it's really not a good idea to frog it. Someone on the Playground mentioned something about putting the mistake-laden project on ice and then it would be easier to rip out. Just what I'd need: a Mohair Morgue of all the failed projects left undone, next to the peas and Eggos. Would anyone care to comment on the hair in the ice cubes? Better to scrap it and start over. In this way, Strawberry gets some really posh nesting material. A well-nested hamster is a happy hamster.

And I think my camera's flash has finally crapped out. I was going to post a pic of the hat, but it looked like this:

















With funds funneling into construction, I'm thinking that the realization of a new digital camera is somewhere in Siberia right now. I hope to post more pics, but that rather depends on the disposition of my equipment. Moody little bits of technology! But if you can discern the blobs, you might make out the two failed attempts at mohair hat brim with a Lazy Kate and the third triumphant attempt at this hat. Have a couple of beers first and then check back ~ things might look clearer then.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I'm having a Scotch, and it isn't helping!

Oh well. Tell Bone Daddy to pay up or shove off.