Thursday, September 29, 2005

Going In-seine

Yesterday, Dirk and I joined Haldane's 4th Grade classes on a field trip to Little Stoney Point on the Hudson River for seining. "What the heck is seining?" you might very well ask ~ and you'd be in your right mind to. It's when a couple of people take a seine (net) and stand in uncomfortably cold water up to their waists (as much an issue for women as well as men, I can assure you) and catch fish. We were land lubbers. I tried to keep Ian in the same condition, but you know boys, water and dirt ~ they're all just made to go together. Scientific fact. Read it somewhere. We were lucky to have a glorious day with sunshine and balmy breezes. The kids spent time at different stations identifying critters or cleaning the beach or scavenging for the hunt. They were also supposed to write haiku, but time was short. (I love haiku!) Besides, when there is a wealth of dirt and water lying about, as a kid, you don't want to wax eloquent about it, you want to get in it. Up to your waist, if possible.

So here's a teacher and a parent seining . . .

A blue crab was unwittingly caught . . .

And Ian had a chance to catch his own little blue crab. He really wanted to take it home, but we have enough animals at home. And only two out of four species cook up well with a decent sauce. (Haven't found a recipe for Cat to save my life.) The only way I'd let this fellow in is if he was accompanied with drawn butter and lemon.

Leaving on a note of something completely unrelated, but very important: the blue socks are done. Time to play with the good stuff! I tried to get pictures of the finished product, but as soon as they left the needles they were on the recipient's feet. I'll try to catch them at a still moment during football.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Great pictures! This reminds me of a field trip I did in 6th grade. Blue Crab special? Maybe the cats would have had fun.

Socks disappearing. You are in demand . . .