Thursday, August 04, 2005

Shop Therapy Gone Wrong

I've been in denial. I finally have to admit I have a problem. I don't think it requires 12-Step. I rather doubt there is a division for such a malady. "Hi, I'm Dawn and I am a compulsive poultry shopper ~ chickens are friends not food (unless prepared properly)." The family went to a perfectly innocent 4-H Fair to look at animals and eat fair food and maybe, just maybe, get my hands on some local fiber. No fiber, but there were a variety of chicks for sale. I bought 4. (I call it the Noah's Ark Syndrome ~ animals need to be purchased in twos.) Now they are living in a makeshift cage in my living room. Here they are outside. They are kind of cute, aren't they? This fact coupled with a recent loss of many hens had me making the snap decision to drop $20 on their fuzzy butts. The trouble with buying chicks is that it's a crap shoot as to what you get. In this bunch, if I'm really lucky, I might get all hens. Yet another roll of the dice might yeild 1 rooster, 3 hens or 2 and 2. We begin to crap out if there are 3 roosters, 1 hen. The true and obvious loss is 4 roosters. Last time, my husband succumbed to a tag sale purchase of three chicks ~ they were all roosters. We have two left from the Canine Debacle of 2005, plus one sweet hen, Mabel (donated). We've taken two chickens to the vet at a great cost ~ cooking them up was not an option. (I could hardly imaging myself prepping pets for dinner.) I get an egg, a free-range egg, a day from Mabel. I'm hoping to get something like that from these four next summer. If they're hens ~ which they are. Right?

Well, here are the others . . .


Robin and Mabel in red and Goldie with the great comb and resplendant neck frill. Goldie is currently coming off steroids. At least that's what we think the vet gave him during his stay. He wasn't this big when we sent him in.

So, the moral of the story: Make sure you're in a safe store for Shop Therapy. A cozy book store, an expensive clothing or shoe store, or better yet the local yarn shop.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Your logic has become fowled. They are kinda cute, though.

What, you didn't have enough mouths to feed and kids to clean up after???