Friday, August 05, 2005

Princess Knitting

I'm teaching my daughter to knit. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I was beginning to feel like a failure as a parent not passing down a skill ~ especially when other parents made the assumption that ALL my children must know how to knit because, well, that's what I do. My oldest son picked up the needles for a short time during the school year, but it doesn't hold a candle to Halo 2 right now. My middle child is hardly interested (so many playdates ~ who has time to knit?). Well, as Meatloaf said, two out of three ain't bad. Knitting isn't my daughter's passion (yet) ~ we're still in a serious Barbie/horsey/stuffed animal/neat shoe/save the ozone phase (okay, so I put that last one in to see if you're paying attention). However, she is showing promise and likes doing something Mommy can do; she just needs her tiara. (I refuse to share the crown!) Soon we'll be thumb-wrestling over shoes and yarn stashes.

I am pleased with the sock using the Magic Loop. If you haven't gotten the booklet, it's well worth it. The site is www.fibertrends.com ~ Sara Hauschka discovered the neat idea and Bev Galeskas wrote it into the booklet. It's been liberating working on just ONE circular needle. I'm not concerning myself with stitches slipping off or not having all four DPNs. I believe they've made a convert out of me. I will return to 4 DPN sock knitting on occasion to retain Ye Olde Ways, but for quick-get-the-man-some-socks knitting, this is surely the way to go. Photos to come soon!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

My word, what a brown little beetle she is! You hold onto that crown with both hands. You may have to up the ante to Empress, ya know.